Friday, November 6, 2009

Little Unexpected Surprises

I really enjoy the opportunity to speak about Veganism and our group, VISION VOICE VEG*N’z for the Brazos Valley. This is World Vegan month and one of the ideas is to get out and share your knowledge and experience as a Vegan.

I had an opportunity to do just that yesterday. My good bud over at KAMU, Vicki Holloway, asked me to speak at the Leadership Brazos Alumni Association luncheon about our group’s upcoming event, Bless the Beasts and the Children. It was a great looking crowd. Unfortunately, I did not take my camera. There were about 45-50 folks there enjoying lunch and chattin’ it up. And not a one Vegan. Did not surprise me at all.

I shared info about me and that I was a Vegan. Then I talked about our group. We are a friendly activist group with lots of ideas for events. We want to be a part of the community and have an impact on the community by creating an acute awareness and respect for our environment, our children, all living creatures, our bodies and our Earth.

Then I got into the holiday donation drive thru event, Bless the Beasts and the Children. Described what it was, who the benefactors were and gave kudos to all the sponsors and community partners that are helping us to make this an annual success.

I got a few laughs and lots of interest in what we are doing. I thanked the group and then had to leave. As I walked out the door into the hallway, a young woman approached me from the group and was just beside herself with excitement. She said, “thank you so much for coming and talking to us today. I am a vegetarian and I have felt so alone since moving here from California.” I was thrilled beyond words. I just hugged her and said “thank you so much for catching me.” Anyway, she works for the Chamber and wants to become a member of our group and is ready to help with the December event! YAY! Her name is Franchesca... WELCOME FRANCHESCA to our group!!!

This was the 2nd serendipitous occurrence this week. On the night of the meetup, a young college student walked into the Village Cafe. I asked her if she was there for the meeting. She said, “No, I don’t think so.” I asked if she was Vegan or Vegetarian... and she said, “Why yes! I am Vegetarian!” Well, I snagged her like the spider snagged the fly. She came to our meeting and is now a member of our group!!! WELCOME BRANDY!!!

I love it when life gives you little unexpected surprises that make you smile.





Bless the Beasts, Bless our Children and Bless this Earth











2 comments:

  1. Thank you Slyck! I'm so glad to have the opportunity to be apart of this organization and look forward to giving more of my support!

    -Franchesca

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are too!!! We are very lucky to have you, kiddo!!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete