Monday, November 23, 2009

Talking About Food and Farming with Orren Fox

Charlie Lindahl sent this to me this past week. Much like our own young visionaries we have in this fabulous group, Orren Fox is 12 years old and has an amazing fore site into the philosophy of food and intuitively recognizes, acknowledges and respects the intelligence of all living creatures. Some call him the next Michael Pollen.


Orren is the creator of "Happy Chickens Lay Healthy Eggs." He is a self taught expert in these "funny little birds," as he calls them, & raises chickens for the eggs. You will enjoy this read and appreciate the kindness and acute intelligence of this 12 year old.


In his own words:

When I was in 5th grade, we were asked to do a big research project and I, obviously, did mine on chickens. During that time, I learned a lot about different breeds and how to care for birds, but I also learned a lot about how terribly most of the hens in this country are treated. The hens raised for meat and for eggs are not treated humanely. So, after this project, I began to do more and more research.
The following year, I did a "persuasive essay" for my English class and I learned even more about the issue. Slowly, slowly, I began to wonder not only about hens, but also about other food. Then I saw Food, Inc. and it really opened my eyes to what is happening. I can't figure out why people aren't more pissed off about this. Factory farming makes animals objects - not living, breathing, creatures. People say to me "But, it's just a chicken"... Right, it is a chicken, but I wouldn't say "just." I would say, it's a funny, bossy, silly animal that I am not willing to torture for the sake of cheap, tasteless meat and eggs.

I suppose I do. However, the big difference is that hens don't live in your house and I imagine that makes a big difference. The hens don't just wander over while I am doing homework and sit on my lap, but when I arrive at my coop they definitely sing out "hello", "Glad you are here". Sometimes, on beautiful days, I let my hens out while I am cleaning their coop. They wander around and explore. Every now and then, someone will find a worm and whistle over to the others to come see what she has found. Often, when I am at the back door of the barn scrubbing bowls, a hen will come over and tell me she needs to lay and egg, so I let her in and she heads straight to the nesting box.

For the rest of this story, click here.

And....to read more about this amazing youngster..... check out his blog.
Thank you Charlie for submitting this enjoyable read!





Bless the Beasts, Bless our Children and Bless this Earth








No comments:

Post a Comment